Before Your Visit
The following instructions will help you prepare for your upcoming visit to the Surgery Center of Decatur. Your physician may have additional instructions pertaining to your specific surgery. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 256-560-2890.
Please pre-register 5-7 days before your scheduled surgery. For your convenience, you can register online using our secured system.
- Provide Your Health History
A nurse will meet with you at the Center during your pre-admission appointment, or a nurse will call you prior to your procedure to answer any questions that you may have and to obtain your health history. The nurse will also verify whether lab work, EKG, or x-rays are needed before the day of surgery, and to confirm that you have pre-registered with the business office and have been given your pre-op instructions, including instructions regarding arrival time. Due to schedule changes that occur at the facility, you may not be given your arrival time until the day before your procedure. The arrival time is not the time of the procedure.
- Get Any Required Tests
Laboratory tests, EKGs, and x-rays need to be performed at least 5 days before your procedure to allow the anesthesiologist time to review the results. These tests may be performed at Decatur Morgan Hospital.
- Talk to Your Doctor About Medications
Please talk to your doctor about any medications you are currently taking, including any herbs or over-the-counter drugs such as aspirin, Bufferin, Nuprin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen or vitamins. Medications for seizures and breathing problems should be taken the morning of the surgery with a small sip of water unless instructed not to do so by your doctor. There are certain heart and blood pressure medications that may need to be taken; this will need to be discussed with the nurse during your pre-admission visit or phone call for instructions specific to you. If you use inhalers, please use them before you arrive at Surgery Center of Decatur and bring them with you to the Center. If you are a diabetic, please check your blood sugar the morning of the surgery and bring your medication with you to the Center.
- Make Arrangements for Accompanying Adult and Transportation
Please arrange for a responsible person to accompany you to the Center and remain with you at the Center throughout your entire stay with us. They should also remain with you the first night following your procedure. For your safety and protection, you will not be allowed to drive a motor vehicle for 24 hours following your procedure. If the patient is a child, it is best to have someone in addition to the driver to help care for the child on the trip home.
- Make Arrangements for Childcare
Please arrange care of your children while you are at the Center and for 24 hours following surgery. If your child is having surgery, please make arrangements for any other children to be cared for while you are at the Center with the child having surgery. All of your attention needs to be devoted to the child having the procedure.
- Make Final Preparations on the Night Before the Surgery While your physician may have additional instructions for your specific surgery, these guidelines apply to all surgeries:
- Please do not eat or drink anything after 12:00 midnight (including water) the night before your surgery, unless otherwise instructed. This includes hard candy, gum, or prescription medications (except those medications addressed above.)
- Shower the morning of surgery with an antibacterial soap to minimize the chance of infection.
- Teeth may be brushed, but DO NOT swallow water
- Remove nail polish from fingers and toes of operative extremity.
- Refrain from smoking after midnight on the day of surgery.
- Write down your questions or concerns instead of trying to remember them.